Episode 22 - What to look for in an accountant
Feb 08, 2016
In this episode, Jeff and Kristin discuss what you should look for in a new accountant. We also discuss copyright law and the recent IRS outage.
In the news
Before I can fix this tractor, we need to fix copyright law
IRS resolves e-file outage
What to look for in an accountant
This week's topic was inspired by a question I was asked by Clay Shaver of the Remodeling Clay Podcast (one of my favorite podcasts). Clay asked, "What should I look for when hiring an accountant?" First, you are looking for a trusted advisor, not just a tax preparer. Here are some of the questions you should be asking when hiring an accountant to work with you and your business:
- What types of business do you work with? Ask this question before discussing your business.
- Ask about his/her education because anyone can prepare taxes. Look for someone with degrees in accounting.
- Ask about his/her experience before he/she started preparing taxes in his/her own business.
- What type of licensing does the person have?
- What type of continuing education does the person do? What topics are focused on?
- Which accounting system is the person familiar with?
- What other services does the firm provide other than taxes?
- How many clients does the firm have and how many staff people are there?
- What is the average turn around time for a tax return?
- How many tax returns are put on extension each year?
App of the week
Quickbooks Online App for your phone
Tip of the week
If you haven't started working on your taxes yet, what are you waiting for? Start now!
Cloud-Based Accounting Systems:
The Small Biz Life Community (a closed group)
Listen to the show on iTunes, Stitcher, YouTube, Google Play Music, iHeart Radio, or with the player below
FREE DOWNLOAD: The system to guide your leads to sales
(The 1st question has saved us hundreds of hours of wasted time)
We all have wasted time trying to sell to people before they are ready. So we came up with this simple system to guide our leads to sales and have included 21 questions you need to answer to make sure they are ready to make the sale.