Episode 23 - 10 tips for protecting yourself online
Feb 15, 2016
We get so wrapped up in our businesses that we often forget to protect ourselves online. In this episode, we discuss some common sense ways to protect yourself and your business.
In this news
Since we are discussing security, let's start with why it's so important. Last week, the IRS suffered another data breach. With so many major breaches in the last few years, it is important to make sure you do your best to protect yourself online.
10 tips for protecting yourself online
This week's episode is based on an article from ZDNet.
- Have anti-virus software and keep it updated. If you think you don't need to do this if you have a Mac, you should read this article.
- Always use a firewall. Your router and your computer should both offer a firewall. Make sure they are turned on.
- Make sure your operating system and software are up-to-date. This includes your phone and your website.
- Don't download pirated media or software. Only use trusted sites to download software.
- Don't click on pop-ups that say you have a virus. Sometimes you will need to close the browser in the task managers to get it to close.
- Be careful with email attachments. If you weren't expecting a file, contact the sender via phone, text, or a new email. Do not reply to the email you were sent.
- Always use a VPN when using public wi-fi.
- Use passwords everywhere and make sure they are complex. Check out this article on the most common passwords.
- Review your online accounts and credit reports. Cancel old accounts you forgot about and make sure there are no inaccuracies on your credit reports.
- Beware of what you share on social media.
Software and services we mentioned
Avast Antivirus Software
Avira Free Antivirus
Kaspersky Antivirus Software
ESet Antivirus Software
Yankee Flipper Anti-squirrel bird feeder (YouTube video - so funny)
Private Internet Security VPN
Lifelock Identity Theft Protection
Listen to the show on iTunes, Stitcher, YouTube, Google Play Music, iHeart Radio, or with the player below
FREE DOWNLOAD: The system to guide your leads to sales
(The 1st question has saved us hundreds of hours of wasted time)
We all have wasted time trying to sell to people before they are ready. So we came up with this simple system to guide our leads to sales and have included 21 questions you need to answer to make sure they are ready to make the sale.